Are you planning to hang a light fixture in your bathroom but there is no junction box? That can be a pretty complicated task.
What most people would do is to create a hole in the drywall so they can run the wire through it then use plastic screw anchors to affix the lighting fixture to the wall. While this may seem like a good idea, you should know that this move may fall from the wall over time.
The best way to address this problem is to install an old junction box which you can use to safely and securely attach your fixture to the wall. Related reading: a detailed guide on choosing a toto toilet.
But how do to install a bathroom light fixture without a junction box? Below are some of the things and steps that you would need to do that.
What You Will Need:
- Drywall Saw
- Old Work or Remodel Junction Box
- Utility Knife
- Splicing Tool
- Wire Nut
The Ultimate Guide on How to Install a Bathroom Light Fixture Without Junction Box
Do you already have the mentioned items in hand? If yes, then let us proceed to install your bathroom light! Here are the steps that you need to take:
Step #1: Turn off the electricity.
Segoe UI", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol";">Cut off the light’s electrical source by switching the main breaker’s toggle switch to the OFF position which turns off the main circuit. In this way, there is no risk that you would get electrocuted. Always proceed safety rules and techniques.
Step #2: Cut out an opening in your wall for the junction box.
Find the place where you want to put your junction box. Hold the junction box in your target area and use a pencil to trace the back of the junction box on the drywall. After that, use a drywall saw to cut out that opening in the wall.
Step #3: Run the electrical wire through the box.
Segoe UI", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, "Apple Color Emoji", "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol";">Get the junction box and punch a hole at its back. Afterward, run the electrical wire through it.
Step #4: Secure the electrical wire in place.
Put the junction box in the hole that you have created in the wall. Twist the locking screws of the junction box until the plastic anchors found at the back of the box is already seated right next to the drywall.
Once it is already in place, pull the box a bit to ensure that the anchor will have a bit of resistance. This time, tighten the screws until you are sure that the box is already securely attached to the wall.
Step #5: Split the wires.
Using a utility knife, cut off about 6 inches of sheathing the from the light’s electrical wire. After that, use a splicing tool to separate the wires and remove about half inch of the black and white wires’ plastic coating.
Step #6: Put the wires in place.
Get the white wires from both the box and lighting fixture and use pliers to twist them counterclockwise. Screw the cables on the wire nut. Do the same with your black wires.
Once you are done, twist the ground wires together.
Step #7: Attach the adapter to the electrical box.
Is there an adapter that comes with the light fixture that you have bought? If yes, screw it onto the junction box. You should also place all the wires of the lighting fixture inside the box. Using the screws included with the fixture, attach the light to the adapter.
Step #8: Test the light.
Now that you are already done, test if the light is properly working. Turn on the electrical source and see if the light would open. We hope it will!
Best Selling Light Bulbs from Amazon
60 Watt LED Corn Light Bulb(500W Equivalent),5500 Lumen…
- ✔SAVE 90% INSTANTLY – Cut down your electricity bill by up to 90% by replacing 500W with 60W!
- ✔35,000 HOUR LIFETIME – With an astonishing life rating of 35,000 hours,or 19 years with 5 hrs/day of use, replacing your bulbs is now a thing of the past.
- ✔TURNS ON INSTANTLY – Our Street Light is engineered to light instantly when the switch is flipped. No more waiting for bulbs to “warm up” or turn all the way on!
Sale SYLVANIA General Lighting 74765 A19 Efficient 8.5W Soft White…
- These LED lamps make an energy-efficient replacement and substitute for standard 60 watt incandescent lamps. At 8. 5 watts, each bulb emits the bright light output of 800 lumens
- These bulbs are a great energy-saving replacement for old incandescent bulbs because each lamp has a total lifespan of up to 11, 000 hours. You won’t need to constantly change your lightbulbs anymore
- These LED lightbulbs require less energy and can save money on your energy bill. Each soft white light bulb works as a great replacement for old 60W incandescent bulbs
RGB LED Light Bulb, Color Changing Light Bulb, 40W Equivalent,…
- This is a remote-controlled and colour-changing LED RGB light bulb. It fits multi-purpose in life. It has a beam angle of up to 270 degrees, 450 lumens, 85CRI super high display. It is very easy to…
- The light has 12 colour to choose from, 6 levels of brightness to adjust, which provides setting on various light effects fulfilling different environmental needs and reflecting different moods. It is…
- Two lighting modes allow you to set up the appropriate atmosphere anytime to bring you a better visual experience. Flash mode gives you a stage effect when enjoy concert or stage performances, just…
TCP RLVA6027ND16 60 Watt Equivalent LED Light Bulbs 9W Energy…
- SAVE UP TO 85% ON YOUR ENERGY BILL – Buy TCP energy efficient 9 watt LED bulbs to replace your 60 watt bulbs and see the immediate savings!
- LONG LASTING 9. 1 YEAR LIFESPAN – Rated 9. 1 year lifespan (10, 000 hours) based on 3 hours per day. High quality TCP LED lights last longer!
- PERFECT BULB VERSATILITY – These Soft White (2700K) LED bulbs are ideal for use in table and floor lamps, living rooms, kitchens, bedrooms and hallways or ceiling fixtures.
AmazonBasics 60 Watt Equivalent, Soft White, Non-Dimmable, A19…
- With a life of 15,000 hours, the bulb will last over 13 years (based on 3 hours of use each day)
- Provides 800 lumens of light immediately, with no waiting time to warm up to full brightness
- With a correlated color temperature of 2700 Kelvin, this bulb provides a soft white light, creating a comfortable atmoshphere for any room
Philips LED 545921 Non-Dimmable A19 Light Bulb: 800-Lumen,…
- Energy Efficient: Philips LED Non Dimmable A19 Frosted Light Bulbs uses 80 percent less energy than 60 Watt Incandescent Bulbs while maintaining the look and feel of a classic light bulb
- Long Lasting: These Philips LED bulbs last 10x longer than incandescent and halogen bulbs; Each light bulb is expected to deliver a lifetime of upto 10, 950 hours and 10 years of light (based on…
- Soft White: Philips LED Non Dimmable A19 light bulbs offer warm and comfortable lighting with high CRI (color rendering index); At 2700 Kelvin the bulbs deliver bright, crisp color ideal for whole…
(12 Pack) 60-Watt Equivalent LED E12 Candelabra Base B11 Dimmable…
- ENERGY SAVING LED BULBS: 60W Candelabra Filament Bulbs Uses Only 4.5 Watt And Replaces 60W Incandescent Candelabra Chandelier Light Bulbs. Save over 90% on your electricity bill of lighting.
- DIMMER COMPATIBILITY: We recommend Lutron Dimmers SELV-300P or DVCL-153P or Lutron DVELV-300P (Search in amazon ASIN: B000K2AUZS or B0006UUI88 or B004DZOMKC)….