1. A mistake in Making Mortise and Tenon Joints
Mortise and tenon joints require perfect cutting according to the measure otherwise, the two parts of the object will not fit in each other and you will not be able to make the joint. So, be cautious while making this joint and follow the rule “Measure Twice Cut Ones”. Even if the mistake occurs here is the fixing technique for you.
The technique of Fixing Faulty Mortise and Tenon Joint: There are two ways of tightening a loose mortise and tenon joint-
- Fill the gap between the wood pieces with a sufficient amount of glue.
- Slice wood into a small and thin piece, place these pieces in the gap, glue them and finally clamp this glued piece to the side of the tenon.
The second one is better than the first technique.
2. A mistake in Making Face Frame Joints
Face frame joints are made for making the front edge of cabinet bodies. If there is any mistake in measurement and cutting they will not fit. If one side of a face frame has a gap of 1/32 inch or less with its neighboring side you can fix this mistake by the following technique:
The technique of Fixing Faulty Face Frame Joint: You need a pair of pipe clamp, ¼ inch dowels and glue to fix this mistake. There are two ways to fix this type of mistake:
- With the aid of your pipe clamp tighten the stiles so that the gap is reduced and they stay close to each other.
- Make a hole at the middle part of the joint and put some glue in the hole. Then tap the dowel in place.
3. Mistake in Making Hinge Pocket
Sometimes beginners make deep hinge pocket which creates problems. But it is very easy to fix the mistake of making deep hinge pocket by following any of the two techniques described here.
The technique of Fixing Deep Hinge Pocket:
- Put one or two pieces of cardboard in the faulty place and drive the screw through and into the door frame to fix the mistake.
- Collect cereal box of shims and cutting it into pieces place these in the faulty place.
Like the proverb “Where there is a will there is a way”, I believe that where there is a problem there is a solution. So if you do any mistake in your project do not be upset rather try to find out the technique to fix the mistake.
Problems in woodworking do not always come from the mistake of the woodworker sometimes it comes from the wood and imperfect woodworking tools. So never ignore the quality and perfectness of your object and tools.